Mario Kart 64 1500cc Edition
Using information from the MK64 Hacking Thread
, krom started a MK64 hack to increase the power and speeds of the karts and map out the other kart related attributes in the ROM. I found it really fun to race AI or with friends, and so I have been working on adding features and fixing the remaining issues with the hack. Since krom's post in the hacking thread
is getting buried and there is now a dedicated MK64 forum here, I thought this hack was worth showcasing in its own thread.
- Download Patch
- Apply patch to Mario Kart 64 (U) [!].z64 ROM (e.g. using Floating IPS or uips)
- clone or download source: https://github.com/PeterLemon/N64/tree/master/Hack/Mario%20Kart%2064%201500cc
- copy Mario Kart 64 (U) [!].z64 to
Mario Kart 64 1500cc directory
- assemble with ARM9's port of bass assembler:
bass "Mario Kart 64 1500cc.asm"
- update ROM header checksum (e.g. with n64sums, chksum64, or n64cksum):
n64sums "Mario Kart 64 1500cc.z64"
- Mapped out all the Kart Property values
- Increased kart CC speeds
- Updated title screen, menus, and text graphics
- Created 1500cc staff course ghosts for Luigi, Mario, and Royal Raceways
- Staff Ghosts in Time Trial mode get confused, as they prob use timed controller input saving, so they can get stuck in corners etc!
- Changes pending to address this
- When you use a Super Jump, e.g on D.K.'s Jungle Parkway or Royal Raceway, the distance traveled is much farther than normal.
(You can do a tight turn to land on track, but it would be better to edit the properties of those jumps, to make it a little less severe.)
- With the extra power of the karts, going thru Grass or Sand etc., hardly effects the speed of the Kart.
(I also want to find the properties that will let me add some more slowdown when going thru these surface types, with the added Kart speed)
- The speed of the shells is often slower than the karts, so they often don't catch their target and you can get hit by your own red or blue shells
- Currently working on mapping out all the shell speeds that are assigned and updated in the ASM
- Speedometer only goes up to 100 km/h which is often exceeded.
greetz to jrra, marshallh, krom, #n64dev, cousins
(This post was last modified: 24-07-2016, 04:55 AM by queueRAM.
Edit Reason: greetz