Star Rod Updates « 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

I'm interested in trying to do different art styles than are normally in paper mario, I think with custom textures and geometry editing a lot is possible. People need to work together on making quality hack that looks good and can compare to the original, or else it will be like sm64 with a few good looking hacks and the rest... Yeah.

People need to focus more on aesthetics.

(18-06-2016, 06:20 AM)pieordie1 Wrote: "Maps can be exported to OBJ and loaded into 3ds Max / Blender / etc or imported into Star Rod from OBJ. (Of course, there is no need for an external modeling program. Fully featured maps can be created in Star Rod alone.)"

I wonder, how similar would Star Rod's built in modeler be to Google Sketchup? I use it for SM64 hacks and wonder if Star Rod has a set scale of model so you get a precise scaling in reference to mario. Also, how well would the scale of an obj file match up with mario (You can very easily make a model way too big in sketchup when SM64 hacking.)

I haven't tried Sketchup, but you can arbitrarily rescale the map after you import it. For most purposes, you might have an easier time just using Star Rod exclusively since you'll have to set up UVs and collision anyway. There are many options for generating different types of primitives with correct UVs and normals already set up.

(18-06-2016, 06:52 AM)RobiNERD Wrote: About texture editing... Can you add textures and compress them or you can only edit the already existing ones?

You can add completely new textures sets, or modify the existing ones to add extra textures. You can also modify the existing textures. If I was more artistically inclined, I would show that off in the video. The only tricky part is to make sure that your images are color-index PNG files. I plan to create a quick converter at some point. Yay0 compression is done automatically. In fact, my compression ratio is better than the originals Smile.

(18-06-2016, 02:01 PM)Skeletons Wrote: Looks amazing! You'll definitely be seeing a hack from me once you've released this.
Would you be able to share whatever information you have on the music so far, the table addresses maybe?
I'll probably be able to figure something out.

Keep an eye on the music thread.

(18-06-2016, 06:11 PM)ughwire Wrote: You stated that adding custom partners isn't possible. Would it theoretically be possible to edit existing partners (sprite animation, attack scripts) to the point of "creating" a new partner? Or are existing partner assets set up so that wouldn't be doable?

I don't know how the overworld partner abilities work, which is problematic. It would not be difficult to completely revamp a partner. Give them a new sprite, new animations, or just new battle attacks. I haven't tried it though, so I'm sure there are unforeseen speedbumps in the way.

(18-06-2016, 06:40 PM)oats Wrote: Will it be possible to change the effects of badges?  Obviously you can change the sprites, but it would be cool to have custom badges.. Things like speedy spin with custom effects, imagine a badge that let you jump higher.

Can you change equipment?  E.g. Custom hammers and boots?  Could you do something like remake the hammer spin from ttyd?

This looks amazing though, imagine an area where it's raining and there are random lightning strikes, would be so cool.

I have custom badges working and have made the debug badges available. Jumping higher is an interesting idea. I know that increasing the player's base movement speed is doable. I plan to add a third tier for equipment, but we'll see how that goes. Special abilities in the overworld are a mystery. Rain and lightning can be done. The scripting system is quite flexible and powerful, so I'm interested to see what people do with it.

(18-06-2016, 06:46 PM)Crashing Thunder Wrote: My mind is rapidly racing through all the possibilities, and that idea sounds amazing to me. I'm super excited to start making my own hack for this game. Maybe we should all team together to make something really good! I'm sure everyone is going to want to make their own games, but just imagine what we could do if we split up the work and had a proper direction to go in.

I would like to see a team come together, maybe make a Paper Mario 1.5 set a few months after the ending. That way we can reuse alot of assets/partners/maps. This would greatly increase the likelihood of completion. Otherwise, it isn't hard to imagine six people all making a few hours worth of content and fizzling out.

I have recently thought of making a paper mario hack where the game plays like everything is corrupted, with random enemies, new corrupted worlds, messed up animations, with new badges and some characters who are aware of the glitches. Hopefully music will be an option, too, so I'll check the thread for updates.

You've blown my mind with the flexibility of the script editor. I know you had spoken about being able to edit scripts in and out of battle, but I wasn't expecting anything to this degree. I can't wait to see what everyone creates when it's released. I myself will definitely be creating a hack. This is so much more exciting than color splash. I'm super excited to get my hands on your script editor when Star Rod is released.

One quick question, will it be possible to redesign the bar with custom sprites at the top of the screen that shows information like coins, xp, star power, etc.? Basically I'm wondering how much power will we have at redesigning the displayed bar that shows up in and out of battle.

UI elements are not drawn via scripts. You'll need to write some assembly to customize them.

I realize that UI images are not drawn through scripts. My post must not have been very clear. Sorry for the confusion. I was complimenting you on your script editor separately from my question.

Anyways can't wait for further updates!
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016, 07:25 AM by Drewworks.)

(18-06-2016, 08:36 PM)clover Wrote:
(18-06-2016, 06:20 AM)pieordie1 Wrote: "Maps can be exported to OBJ and loaded into 3ds Max / Blender / etc or imported into Star Rod from OBJ. (Of course, there is no need for an external modeling program. Fully featured maps can be created in Star Rod alone.)"

I wonder, how similar would Star Rod's built in modeler be to Google Sketchup? I use it for SM64 hacks and wonder if Star Rod has a set scale of model so you get a precise scaling in reference to mario. Also, how well would the scale of an obj file match up with mario (You can very easily make a model way too big in sketchup when SM64 hacking.)

I haven't tried Sketchup, but you can arbitrarily rescale the map after you import it. For most purposes, you might have an easier time just using Star Rod exclusively since you'll have to set up UVs and collision anyway. There are many options for generating different types of primitives with correct UVs and normals already set up.

Alright thanks! I'll try using the built in editor then, especially since sketchup doesn't work very well with UV mapping
Shining Stars 3: Sanctuary of the Star Comet (SM64 hack) coming 2016!

Just to ask... can objects (also the main obj) be easily rotated , and if yes can also theire collisions, and also can an object inserted later (Example: coin) be rotated around the center of the level while in game?
Also can all of this be called by moving the control stick in some direction?
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2016, 06:41 PM by RobiNERD. Edit Reason: Grammar fixes )
Gone for good.

(18-06-2016, 02:48 PM)jetfantastic Wrote: After seeing the video demonstrating this new program, I had to make an account here so I could follow the progress and say how amazing it looks.
I'm excited to see what the future of this project holds.

So did I. This is amazing, thank you for working on this! This would be much better than that project I tried on RPG maker.

Can't wait for it to be finished.
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2016, 03:19 AM by bluze.)

(20-06-2016, 06:40 PM)RobiNERD Wrote: Just to ask... can objects (also the main obj) be easily rotated , and if yes can also theire collisions, and also can an object inserted later (Example: coin) be rotated around the center of the level while in game?
Also can all of this be called by moving the control stick in some direction?

You can do that, you'd just assign the objects to a transformation group and then control the transformation matrix through scripts using the script API. There's a function call for RotateGroup(id, rx, ry, rz) so you could just use that. Many many things are possible since the game logic is driven by a scripting language rather than all being compiled c.

Star Rod Updates « 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 »