Star Rod Updates 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Since I've been quietly working on this for some time and only making sporadic posts, I think a dedicated thread is warranted for updates and discussion. Let me begin with a new video.

Here is what is finished:
  • Map Editor - geometry and collision can be freely edited. This includes triangle and vertex editing, custom display list creation (if you really want to get fancy), and transformation matrix hierarchies. You can paint verticies, apply textures, and edit UVs. Maps can be exported to OBJ and loaded into 3ds Max / Blender / etc or imported into Star Rod from OBJ. (Of course, there is no need for an external modeling program. Fully featured maps can be created in Star Rod alone.) All types of trigger events are supported and the editor has a built-in camera editor with a live preview feature. You can edit existing maps or add your own. You can set entity positions and scripted movement paths in the editor, and define the movement and AI patterns of NPCs.
  • Script Editing - any script in the game can be edited, giving fine control over map events, enemy and player attacks in battle, item animations, etc. The scripts are rendered into plaintext and edited in Notepad++ (a custom language style is provided for syntax highlighting). Star Rod automatically compiles them and packages them into a clean ROM.
  • MIPS Assembler - as a part of the script editor, a special MIPS assembler is included that handles a variety of supporting pseudoinstructions.
  • String Editing - you can edit any part of the game text using a simple markup language. Strings can be given unique names to reference in scripts or functions. For simplicity, you can embed strings in script files.
  • Texture Editing - the texture archive format is fully reversed and each is dumped to a series of PNG files with a plaintext texture archive file that defines their formats. You can simply modify the images or add your own and the archives are automatically rebuilt. Item and badge icons can also be edited.
  • Custom Sprites and Animations - you can modify existing sprites by changing their animations or adding new ones. You can recolor sprites to add your own palette swaps. You can even create brand new sprites from your own sprite images.
  • Direct ROM Patches - directly modify the data, assembly code, or script at a fixed point on the ROM, define custom functions or request hooks at specific memory addresses.
  • Misc - supports Badge/Item editing, custom enemy types, custom saved values (which you can name), custom title logos, skipping the demo movie, disabling developer logos (quick boot).
  • Whenever possible, details are abstracted away. For example, if a modified data structure has grown in size, it will be relocated in memory and all relevant pointers are updated automatically. Yay0 compressed assests are automatically compressed and decompressed without any action on your part.
  • Star Rod will release with a fully featured example mod and with the source files used to create it (in progress!).

In the future, I may add support for a custom world map subscreen. The relevant data formats are understood and easily modified. I may make it a weekend project some time or dump the data to XML and let someone else write an editor for it. After all, you guys would like a release at some point, right?

Not supported:
  • Music/sound editing. If someone cracks the format, I will add it.
  • Custom partners. This is something that a dedicated modder could add, and Star Rod would provide a number of helpful tools to assist them. In fact, there is 'room' for an extra partner or two (did you know you can get Goombaria as a partner?). However, there are too many hardcoded data and pointers for me to support this 'out of the box'.

Although the map editor is flashy and easy to get excited about, I am most proud of Star Rod's script editing capabilities. At this stage, the entire script bytecode 'instruction set' has been deciphered and a considerable part of the script API has been mapped out. In fact, >90% of all function calls from existing map scripts have been identified. The system is designed to be extendable, so if you find an unnamed function, you can easily add it to the library, along with a definition of the function arguments. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016, 03:41 AM by clover.)

Those maps looked amazing and well made! With all of the editing capabilities on this, we could make a spiritual successor to the old paper marios(and a good one, too). Great work on this. I hope things go really well.

"Maps can be exported to OBJ and loaded into 3ds Max / Blender / etc or imported into Star Rod from OBJ. (Of course, there is no need for an external modeling program. Fully featured maps can be created in Star Rod alone.)"

I wonder, how similar would Star Rod's built in modeler be to Google Sketchup? I use it for SM64 hacks and wonder if Star Rod has a set scale of model so you get a precise scaling in reference to mario. Also, how well would the scale of an obj file match up with mario (You can very easily make a model way too big in sketchup when SM64 hacking.)
Shining Stars 3: Sanctuary of the Star Comet (SM64 hack) coming 2016!

About texture editing... Can you add textures and compress them or you can only edit the already existing ones?
Lorem Ipsum.

Looks amazing! You'll definitely be seeing a hack from me once you've released this.
Would you be able to share whatever information you have on the music so far, the table addresses maybe?
I'll probably be able to figure something out.

After seeing the video demonstrating this new program, I had to make an account here so I could follow the progress and say how amazing it looks.
I'm excited to see what the future of this project holds.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016, 02:49 PM by jetfantastic. Edit Reason: Ninja'd )

(18-06-2016, 02:01 PM)Skeletons Wrote: Looks amazing! You'll definitely be seeing a hack from me once you've released this.
Would you be able to share whatever information you have on the music so far, the table addresses maybe?
I'll probably be able to figure something out.

I made a new post talking about music/sound. Certainly are still some gaps but at least got the majority of commands.
http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=435

I also meant to mention, this thing looks incredible! I can't wait to see what comes of it, Paper Mario was a superb game.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016, 03:02 PM by SubDrag.)

You stated that adding custom partners isn't possible. Would it theoretically be possible to edit existing partners (sprite animation, attack scripts) to the point of "creating" a new partner? Or are existing partner assets set up so that wouldn't be doable?

Will it be possible to change the effects of badges? Obviously you can change the sprites, but it would be cool to have custom badges.. Things like speedy spin with custom effects, imagine a badge that let you jump higher.

Can you change equipment? E.g. Custom hammers and boots? Could you do something like remake the hammer spin from ttyd?

This looks amazing though, imagine an area where it's raining and there are random lightning strikes, would be so cool.

Quote:This looks amazing though, imagine an area where it's raining and there are random lightning strikes, would be so cool.

My mind is rapidly racing through all the possibilities, and that idea sounds amazing to me. I'm super excited to start making my own hack for this game. Maybe we should all team together to make something really good! I'm sure everyone is going to want to make their own games, but just imagine what we could do if we split up the work and had a proper direction to go in.
[Image: 2wKJA6Y.png]

Star Rod Updates 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 »