[video] Paper Mario TTYD Hack: Luigi, Peach, Bowser in the team and more
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

I made this some weeks ago in my free time, i'm still testing the game, so i can't show much yet

this is the iso, if someone want to help me with the textures using dolphin would be nice, it's easy, but needs time.

View post on imgur.com
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
View post on imgur.com
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll upload more in some hours.

Greetings.
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2016, 01:00 AM by Outlaw.)

I made a detailed tutorial on how to do this a while back (Tutorial Link), but it seems as though you have figured out exactly what you are doing. Cool

Can confirm that changing the textures of some of the characters can really breathe some life into a run through if you've beaten the game multiple times.

Best of luck adding in more crazy texture combinations! Keep posting your content here in this post, but I suggest in the future to use "snipping tool", which is pre-loaded on all Windows version above Windows 7, to take screenshots instead for higher quality images to post. Presuming you are doing all the work on a windows operating system.
[Image: FJdRvVq.png]
Click the image to go to the PM:Hacking Archive
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

(28-05-2016, 03:47 AM)Drewworks Wrote: I made a detailed tutorial on how to do this a while back (Tutorial Link), but it seems as though you have figured out exactly what you are doing.  Cool

Can confirm that changing the textures of some of the characters can really breathe some life into a run through if you've beaten the game multiple times.

Best of luck adding in more crazy texture combinations! Keep posting your content here in this post, but I suggest in the future to use "snipping tool", which is pre-loaded on all Windows version above Windows 7, to take screenshots instead for higher quality images to post. Presuming you are doing all the work on a windows operating system.

Amm, not exactly, what i made was an iso modification modifying the files directly, this is not a texture replacing, these are actually the files of the real characters, their sprites, their animations, etc.

For that reason i can't use the "Snipping tool", i'm playing the iso in my wii, i'm not loading textures on an emulator in my pc.

I had a very nice video playing the chapter 6 with Luigi as a partner, but i accidentally deleted the video and i need to do it again.....

Sorry for the late reply, my job keeps me very busy these days.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 02:38 AM by Outlaw.)

Totally my bad, I was under the impression you were doing this on an emulator with the emulator replacing the sprites.

I'd love to know in more detail what you've done and how you did it.
[Image: FJdRvVq.png]
Click the image to go to the PM:Hacking Archive
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

(04-06-2016, 02:32 AM)Drewworks Wrote: Totally my bad, I was under the impression you were doing this on an emulator with the emulator replacing the sprites.

I'd love to know in more detail what you've done and how you did it.

Sure i'll explain much more, but as i told before, i'm still testing all these things, for example it's hard to find specific texture files in the iso, but i know that dolphin lets you play with textures very well, i'd like to replace the bobbery icon that appears in the HP indicator for example, change some sound effects for Luigi's voice, and replace the text files, for example, the classical "old boy" of bobbery for the classical "bro" of Luigi.

As you can see there's much to do yet >.>
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2016, 07:51 PM by Outlaw.)

Is this just a manual model file swap? I've noticed that they don't appear to be displaying any animation and the guy who documented the model file format never fully figured out the animation blocks.

(04-06-2016, 07:50 PM)Outlaw Wrote: change some sound effects for Luigi's voice
I'm actually looking into sound file replacement, but the biggest issue I am having at the moment is attempting to associate the pmario.sdir sample indexes to the sound effect names in-memory. I verified that the game is using the names after it loads pmario.stbl and pmario.etbl by corrupting the names, which breaks the sound. I haven't found how the game associates the data yet. I've mostly just been memory-breakpointing reads to the relevant string name and checking the registers when the game pauses.

I think I was mostly looking for raw memory pointers though, maybe offsets or word counts would help? I'm a bit new to mucking with game data and the word-alignment stuff kind of threw me for a loop at first. I can't resume that work currently though due to some hardware issues. Soon, hopefully.

I used the Audacity fork listed here to encode new sound effects (while inserting it manually) but I haven't tried building a tool to unpack/repack pmario.samp/pmario.sdir yet. It's a "TO DO" once I have the names, I suppose. Smile

Right now with manual insertion, replacements of sounds that are > the size of the original would be even more tedious than inserting ones <= the size of the original data. I never attempted it, but you would probably need to append the sample data to the end of pmario.samp and adjust the sample pointer accordingly.

There is a handy tool here for unpacking the samp/sdir files but not only does it not repack, it also doesn't account for the names of the samples in TTYD. This means you'll have the unenviable job of manually associating up to 1,000 sound samples with the ingame names, assuming I don't figure it out at some point.

http://www.metroid2002.com/retromodding/wiki/AGSC_%28File_Format%29#Sample_Directory
This contains information on the sdir format in the event anyone is wondering how it works.

(17-06-2016, 07:34 PM)Phaze Wrote: Is this just a manual model file swap? I've noticed that they don't appear to be displaying any animation and the guy who documented the model file format never fully figured out the animation blocks.

(04-06-2016, 07:50 PM)Outlaw Wrote: change some sound effects for Luigi's voice
I'm actually looking into sound file replacement, but the biggest issue I am having at the moment is attempting to associate the pmario.sdir sample indexes to the sound effect names in-memory. I verified that the game is using the names after it loads pmario.stbl and pmario.etbl by corrupting the names, which breaks the sound. I haven't found how the game associates the data yet. I've mostly just been memory-breakpointing reads to the relevant string name and checking the registers when the game pauses.

I think I was mostly looking for raw memory pointers though, maybe offsets or word counts would help? I'm a bit new to mucking with game data and the word-alignment stuff kind of threw me for a loop at first. I can't resume that work currently though due to some hardware issues. Soon, hopefully.

I used the Audacity fork listed here to encode new sound effects (while inserting it manually) but I haven't tried building a tool to unpack/repack pmario.samp/pmario.sdir yet. It's a "TO DO" once I have the names, I suppose. Smile

Right now with manual insertion, replacements of sounds that are > the size of the original would be even more tedious than inserting ones <= the size of the original data. I never attempted it, but you would probably need to append the sample data to the end of pmario.samp and adjust the sample pointer accordingly.

There is a handy tool here for unpacking the samp/sdir files but not only does it not repack, it also doesn't account for the names of the samples in TTYD. This means you'll have the unenviable job of manually associating up to 1,000 sound samples with the ingame names, assuming I don't figure it out at some point.

http://www.metroid2002.com/retromodding/wiki/AGSC_%28File_Format%29#Sample_Directory
This contains information on the sdir format in the event anyone is wondering how it works.

Until now i can display mostly of the characters with animation, i've tried with Luigi, watt, frankly, flavio, grodus and worked, but only as Mario's companion, i'm still figuring how to display animations in Mario's "slot".

In fact, in the last video from this post you can see Watt and Frankly displaying animations.

I'm also making a list with all the elements/characters from the game with their respective "filename" because mostly of the files are named with their japanese names or certain words in japanese, not always are their names.

I've heard about a guy who wants to replace sound effects in his PMTTYD hack, but i don't know if he has done something, but as far as i know, he is using dolphin only.

Tomorrow i'll publish a part that survived from my video playing the chapter 6 with Luigi as a partner, so you can see Luigi with animations.

(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: Until now i can display mostly of the characters with animation, i've tried with Luigi, watt, frankly, flavio, grodus and worked, but only as Mario's companion, i'm still figuring how to display animations in Mario's "slot".

In fact, in the last video from this post you can see Watt and Frankly displaying animations.
I've never looked in-depth on the animation side of things since it's beyond me, but I didn't notice an animation name table offhand when I strings'd Start.dol. It sounds like it'll be painful to find & edit, depending on where it's coming from.

Oh whoops, didn't watch all of the videos. Confused

(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: I'm also making a list with all the elements/characters from the game with their respective "filename" because mostly of the files are named with their japanese names or certain words in japanese, not always are their names.
Fair enough. The Japanese names are tricky, I'll agree. I'd still like to map them out myself for completion's sake, even if they're rendered obsolete.

(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: I've heard about a guy who wants to replace sound effects in his PMTTYD hack, but i don't know if he has done something, but as far as i know, he is using dolphin only.
To my knowledge, nobody has actually replaced sound effects in TTYD yet due to the samp/sdir format (considering that the linked samp unpacker was done this year) and I thought Dolphin could only replace individual files when it requests them from the disk - which means you'd need to edit those files anyway to do a replacement when it's running.

(19-06-2016, 05:34 AM)Phaze Wrote:
(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: Until now i can display mostly of the characters with animation, i've tried with Luigi, watt, frankly, flavio, grodus and worked, but only as Mario's companion, i'm still figuring how to display animations in Mario's "slot".

I've never looked in-depth on the animation side of things since it's beyond me, but I didn't notice an animation name table offhand when I strings'd Start.dol. It sounds like it'll be painful to find & edit, depending on where it's coming from.

Oh whoops, didn't watch all of the videos. Confused

(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: I'm also making a list with all the elements/characters from the game with their respective "filename" because mostly of the files are named with their japanese names or certain words in japanese, not always are their names.
Fair enough. The Japanese names are tricky, I'll agree. I'd still like to map them out myself for completion's sake, even if they're rendered obsolete.

(19-06-2016, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Wrote: I've heard about a guy who wants to replace sound effects in his PMTTYD hack, but i don't know if he has done something, but as far as i know, he is using dolphin only.
To my knowledge, nobody has actually replaced sound effects in TTYD yet due to the samp/sdir format (considering that the linked samp unpacker was done this year) and I thought Dolphin could only replace individual files when it requests them from the disk - which means you'd need to edit those files anyway to do a replacement when it's running.

That's right, i'll need some time to find the correct "match" for every file, here's the video with Luigi:

[video] Paper Mario TTYD Hack: Luigi, Peach, Bowser in the team and more