PM64 Modeling Discussion 1 2 3 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

06: Mario Upset 
I updated to Windows 10 today and found out the new OS has a built in 3D Modeling tool.

So I put it to the test. Importing Paper Mario models was a piece of cake.

With the right tools this 3D Builder (or any other 3D Modeling Program) could be used to create models/maps to import into the game's data with Clover's upcoming tool or by other means in the future.

If anyone else has updated to Windows 10 here's (link) the model so you can try it out.

[Image: AnV5x1W.jpg]

Edit: Fixed the textures
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2015, 05:15 PM by Drewworks.)
[Image: FJdRvVq.png]
Click the image to go to the PM:Hacking Archive
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

I'm sort of confused here. So it's Microsoft's app opening the paper mario model but what format is it in, where did the export come from (or rather what tool produced the export), and is this thread part of that process? I see the thread is called "Paper Mario 64 Model Editor" but to me it just looks like a regular 3D editor opening what probably is an emulator export.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2015, 12:45 AM by shygoo.)

(30-07-2015, 12:44 AM)shygoo Wrote: I'm sort of confused here. So it's Microsoft's app opening the paper mario model but what format is it in, where did the export come from (or rather what tool produced the export), and is this thread part of that process? I see the thread is called "Paper Mario 64 Model Editor" but to me it just looks like a regular 3D editor opening what probably is an emulator export.

I've renamed the thread to try and not be misleading.

The model was exported from an emulator which isn't new news at all (1964 with a plugin).
The format of the model is in .wrl or VRML.

I merely want to understand what can be done with a 3d Modeling tool like this?
Is it possible, to your knowledge, to import an edited model like this one into the rom's data?
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2015, 01:10 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

Yes it should be possible to re-import a model like that granted you have an importer purposed for whatever the format is of the 3D model file. Your chances are even better if that windows app can save .OBJ files, because that seems to be the defacto standard for romhacking importers, and I'm pretty sure that's what clover's tool uses.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2015, 01:16 AM by shygoo.)

The program does have the capability to save as an .OBJ file.
Spoiler :
[Image: OhbL2ix.png]

Now I guess I'll go back to playing the waiting game for Clover's tool.

Thanks, for the information shygoo.
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2015, 03:49 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

What can you actually do with that tool? It looks like a bad tryout of 3dsmax/maya

(30-07-2015, 08:10 AM)Jesse Wrote: What can you actually do with that tool? It looks like a bad tryout of 3dsmax/maya

I don't know what it can do, who knows, MAYBE MAKE 3D MODELS?
#PowerAbuseEveryday#

(30-07-2015, 09:17 AM)Mr. GreenThunder Wrote:
(30-07-2015, 08:10 AM)Jesse Wrote: What can you actually do with that tool? It looks like a bad tryout of 3dsmax/maya

I don't know what it can do, who knows, MAYBE MAKE 3D MODELS?

That was not what I meant but ok.

However no, you cannot make models with it, at least not how a modelling program (like 3ds max) allows you to make models. Its a model builder, which means that it can add simple meshes with a high number of triangles and fuses them together. There is no room for vertex or edge or face editing. which makes sense, since its made for the 3d printer. And thats why its called model builder.

The import function is made to import more complex models which are made in another modelling program.

Atleast thats what Alexandre Blondin from Microsoft said

(30-07-2015, 06:46 PM)Jesse Wrote: However no, you cannot make models with it, at least not how a modelling program (like 3ds max) allows you to make models. Its a model builder, which means that it can add simple meshes with a high number of triangles and fuses them together. There is no room for vertex or edge or face editing. which makes sense, since its made for the 3d printer. And thats why its called model builder.

The import function is made to import more complex models which are made in another modelling program.

Atleast thats what Alexandre Blondin from Microsoft said

Oh I see.

Well I guess I'll have to buy 3ds Max or install some other program when we have the ability to import OBJ files into the rom's data. Thanks
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

Blender can import most models, and imports .wrl directly, as it does .obj.

But if you find blender to difficult to use, there is a plugin for sketchup which can import .obj's with materials

PM64 Modeling Discussion 1 2 3 »