PM:TTYD Custom Textures (Emulation Masking)
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Important note: for extra instruction for mac users either scroll down to my post or click here.

I received a pm earlier today asking me for a tutorial on how I swapped Koops with Kooper in PMTTYD.
He eventually suggested that I create a thread explaining how it's done.
I'll go ahead and state that replacing sprites/textures in Paper Mario ttyd is super easy, so if you have ideas on things you want to change for yourself or the community go for it!

What you'll need
  • A Paper Mario ttyd ISO (you must have the rights to use the ISO) Download Link
  • The most updated Dolphin Emulator Dowload Link (Windows)
  • An image editing software (I suggest Paint.NET, as that's what I'll be using in the tutorial Download Link)

What we want to achieve
[Image: JCkLW4z.png]
Our goal is going to be to change the PURPLE mouse to a LIGHT GREEN mouse and maybe add some more features to him.

Lets get started

Open Dolphin Emulator and click on the Graphics Icon on the Main Menu Bar.
[Image: pvHGvsK.png]

Next, you need to go to the Advanced section.
[Image: ivj8eLf.png]

Now, check the box that in labeled Dump Textures
[Image: O7DW8ag.png]
Now, click close in the bottom right corner of the window.

Next, you need to find your way to this file location.
[Image: xDMTKu1.png]
You can minimize this folder for now, we will need it in a second.

Now, leave and reenter the area with the Purple mouse to make sure that the image is loaded by the emulator.

Now, open the folder and find the image that has the Purple mouse in it.
[Image: CoSrp3s.png]
Copy the image and place it on your desktop (do not change the name of the image).

Next, we are going to edit the image.
Open the Purple mouse image in your image editor (I am using Paint.NET).
[Image: m4KO2Dl.png]
Edit the Image to your liking.

Here's an example I did.
[Image: UK34A66.png]

Save the image with the same name it started with.

Now, go back to the Graphics settings on the emulator and uncheck Dump Textures and check Load Custom Textures.
[Image: UoZjbhV.png]

Finally, go to this file location and put your custom sprite/texture in the folder.
[Image: fHGL7YE.png]

If the image doesn't load at first just go into the graphic settings and uncheck and recheck the Load Custom Texture box.

Enjoy playing around with this! Purple Mouse to Light Green Mouse
[Image: 2TgfzK6.png]
[Image: mcYWQrW.png]

If you have problems feel free to ask below! Cool

Important note: for extra instruction for macs user either scroll down to my post or click here.

Here's a download link to all of my custom textures Download Link
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2016, 07:13 PM by Drewworks.)
[Image: FJdRvVq.png]
Click the image to go to the PM:Hacking Archive
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

Ah, so this is essentially an emulator hack, not a rom hack

(20-05-2015, 12:48 AM)shygoo Wrote: Ah, so this is essentially an emulator hack, not a rom hack
Yes that is correct, but I figured this forum would appreciate a tutorial to mask sprites in PM:ttyd   Chirpy  

Edit:
Basically giving the ability to create small or large texture packs.
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2015, 01:08 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

This is forbidden to download any games, ISO's, ROM's etc.
You know it. Nobody supports this.

(23-05-2015, 05:34 PM)SM64 Forum Rules Wrote: • Do not directly upload ROM files as attachments, these are illegal and should be hosted elsewhere.

I actually have no problem with ROM/ISO links, so long as they are not directly hosted on this site. I have not yet written the PM forum rules, but they are essentially the same as the SM64 section.

Hey Dreamworks, this won't work, can you help me? I am on mac, so is that possibly why?

(17-09-2016, 01:43 AM)Gamecubed Wrote: Hey Dreamworks, this won't work, can you help me? I am on mac, so is that possibly why?
Well it's not Dreamworks lol, but I'm guessing you meant me Tongue

The file locations are different on the macintosh version of Dolphin.
I'm in the process of creating a tutorial for mac users now. Give me about 10 minutes and I'll have edited this post with instructions for mac users.

EDIT: Instructions for mac users file locations
First, open Finder and on the status bar click "Go" then at the bottom of the list press "Go to Folder..."
[Image: pJGfJNr.png]

Next, type in "~/Library" and press "Go".
[Image: lTBVAcz.png]

Now find the folder "Application Support" and open it.
[Image: RnIxhBB.png]

Next, find the "Dolphin" folder (which is inside of the "Application Support" folder)
[Image: mkvtCpp.png]

For steps on retrieving dumped images click on this Spoiler Tab
Spoiler :
Open the folder "Dump" > "Textures" > "G8ME01" 
[Image: 9lqBlmJ.png]

All of your dumped images will show up in "G8ME01" as you play the game with "Dumped Textures" checked 
in the Advanced setting of the Graphics tab on Dolphin.

[Image: hBoX4kc.png]

Again make sure you have "Dump Textures" checked.
[Image: Znplf2h.png]

For steps on loading custom images click on this Spoiler Tab
Spoiler :
Open the folder "Load"
[Image: gbQZBmn.png]

Now create a new folder on your desktop and name it "G8ME01" (or the same name that your dumped images are in)
[Image: smJ6yui.png]

Now place the folder that you created into the "Textures" folder.
[Image: 05Jz6Dy.png]

Finally, place your custom images into the folder that you created.
[Image: uhXlJvn.png]

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you have "Load Custom Textures" checked in the Advanced setting of the Graphics tab on Dolphin.
[Image: NviRZUq.png]
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2016, 06:53 PM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

It worked! Your awesome! Are you a filthy mac user?

(18-09-2016, 01:05 AM)Gamecubed Wrote: It worked! Your awesome! Are you a filthy mac user?
Hmmmm lol, yes and no  Cool

Most people either choose to only use Windows or Mac, and then they strongly hate the other as if they are rivals, but I use both and I also use Linux.

I have a Macbook for my college work and programming, a Windows 10 desktop for doing most of my graphics work and programming, and an old Windows Vista laptop that I changed the operating system on to Linux (Ubuntu).

The way I see it is, you should become familiar with all different types of operating systems. There's no reason to limit yourself to only understanding how to operate a certain operating system when knowing how to operate multiple can broaden your view and understanding on computing.

Anyways, I'm glad you were able to get it working. If you have any further questions feel free to message me!
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2016, 06:55 PM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

I really wish I could install windows on the mac I use...

Anyway thanks for answering.

PM:TTYD Custom Textures (Emulation Masking)