Paper Mario Hacking Archive 1 2 3 4 5 »
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

09: Coin 
Paper Mario Hacking Archive

[Image: FJdRvVq.png]
Click the image or here to open the archive.

IMPORTANT: The archive has recently been moved from Google Drive's free hosting service to http://papermariohackingarchive.com/. The old archive will now prompt visitors of this change until Google Drive's free website hosting service is shut down later this year. Let me clarify, Google Drive is only shutting off their free website hosting service, not file hosting, so if you use Drive to store files for yourself and others to download, then you have nothing to worry about.

Archive up-to-date as of January 12, 2017

***To submit your project to the archive click here.***

Any information, tools, and/or resources not mentioned in the archive please post the information below, private message me, or send a message directly to me from the archive's contact page, so I can update the archive as needed.

New Features:
  • Added the ability to submit projects/rom hacks.
  • The ascetics of the submission form have been changed to look more appealing.
  • Also added a delete button on the Successful Submission page for those who change their mind after submitting.
  • Added some hidden secrets
  • The ascetics of the buttons throughout the website are now styled!
  • Updated the contact section with a form like the project submission form.
  • Updated the backbone of the website's components(x2)

Future Features:
  • Once more rom hacks have become available I will create a more organized section for them with sections for text/translation hacks, full hacks, difficulty hacks, etc.
  • Redesign how the incomplete, complete, and ROM hacks pages look to only display a list of all the projects with minimal info and when clicked on will display all information about that project while hiding information about other projects simultaneously. The list of projects will always be visible at the top of the page.

If you have any suggestions feel free to contact me through the website or post a reply to this thread.

Also, check out the Paper Mario hacking wiki for more stuff.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 08:38 AM by Drewworks. Edit Reason: Updated the Archive )
Click the image to go to the PM:Hacking Archive
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

I'm waiting with great anticipation for Clover's Level Editor to be released. I wish he would just release what he has so far. It seems like it has so much already.
[Image: 2wKJA6Y.png]

I agree!

I'm afraid since we haven't heard from him in over 2 months he might have dropped the project and if that's the case he should really consider open sourcing the code.

The potential for a program of that magnitude is enormous!
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

When I messaged Skelux on here, he said that he wouldn't be updating Origami anymore due to that level editor project. If both people drop their tools then progress will likely grind to a halt. Luigi1er (for which I'm grateful for) already said that his tool was fleshed out and would also likely not be updated anymore. Such sadness, as i have so many more ideas for something to differentiate my hack other than the increased difficulty, but no way to implement them. One can only wait patiently Confused

(13-05-2015, 10:57 PM)bustacrunk Wrote: When I messaged Skelux on here, he said that he wouldn't be updating Origami anymore due to that level editor project. If both people drop their tools then progress will likely grind to a halt. Luigi1er (for which I'm grateful for) already said that his tool was fleshed out and would also likely not be updated anymore. Such sadness, as i have so many more ideas for something to differentiate my hack other than the increased difficulty, but no way to implement them. One can only wait patiently  Confused

Waiting patiently can be quite difficult, but you could always take it upon yourself to create your own tool.

I recently replaced Koops with Kooper in Paper Mario ttyd. Just because I like Kooper more than Koops.

Spoiler :
[Image: crb4Onk.jpg]

With enough will power and focus anything can be achieved.
(This post was last modified: 17-07-2015, 12:33 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

I'm sure the guy who's making the Paper Mario Level Editor is really busy...but he really needs to at least release something. Maybe it's super buggy or something, but from what he's shown with the one video, we can already do a heck of a lot in combination with the other tools.

I can vouch for the guy. After developing a program for so long and not gaining much tracktion with the community it can become a burdan to work on it.

If anyone finds a means of contacting Clover please share that information with me. It would be nice if those that participate in the Origami Forum could send him a nice message somehow.

It would be nice if he was able to release some sort of beta version closed to only a certain few people for testing purposes.
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2015, 05:10 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

I haven't abandoned my project. I've been busy lately and I was stuck for a while on some nasty scripting issues. Since the last video was uploaded, I added a MIPS assembler/disassembler to the project. My tools dump sections of the ROM that are loaded during particular maps/battles, decompress them, and convert them into a human readable -- and editable -- format. These files can be edited and reinserted back into that game (recompressed to Yay0, certain tables rebuilt/relocated as necessary, some hard-coded pointers modified).

Dumping machine code to assembly was a big goal of mine, but that led to some difficult corner cases, such as how to reverse jump tables and pseudoinstructions involving pointers. Getting this right was very important. I've also been working away at the game's script bytecode, identifying functions that are called, functions like: MovePlayerTo(...), SetModelRotation(...), SetCameraDistance(...), PlaySoundAt(...). Over 100 function calls used in the overworld have been identified and documented, less so in battles (I need to work on this part).

I've also finished reversing the sprite format, so a fully-featured sprite/animation editor is definitely possible. Probably not in the first release though.

It would be a bad idea to use my tools along with other projects at the moment. When I compile the ROM, many data structures are replaced and moved around, breaking many hard-coded pointers and assumptions made by other mod authors. In fact, all assets and battle sections are completely recompressed and overwritten on the ROM to create extra free space (my Yay0 compression ratio beats the developers' Big Grin). I even compress some assets that are ordinarily not compressed. I haven't looked at the work of other Paper Mario hackers, but I think that my tools support everything that other authors have done -- and more -- unless they know how to edit music and sound files, which is something I haven't attempted to do yet (although I have some good leads). This project is not simply a level editor, that is only one component of it. This project is a modding suite that will allow people to make mods of the game without having to do much hacking work on their own!

All this is to say that things are moving along. If everything is done correctly, we'll have full control over the scripts that control everything from battle animations to map events to shop inventories and prices. This should allow not only simple mods that modify constants, but more advanced mods approaching total conversions. I've uploaded another video for you guys to check out. It shows off some custom NPCs and battle formations. It's not anything flashy, but better than nothing, right? Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN62tiNEUj8

The editor will release with an example mod (a 'hard mode' unlike any other) along with the source files and assets needed to build it. The mod is halfway through to chapter 2, and I'm working on some custom maps for it. I plan to include a bonus side area for each chapter and some extra endgame content: 3-4 superbosses, an endgame bonus dungeon, and endgame rematches for every chapter boss.

Well im freaking hyped. I look forward to seeing your modding suite and hack! Also, can I suggest a name?

PaperScape.

Smile

"Oh the possibilities..."

Sounds and looks like you've got some great things ahead for us! I'm extremely glad you've uploaded a second video and shared more specifics with us. I'll update the archive with your new video and information later today.

Keep up the great work and feel free to post on this thread with updates to your modding/hacking tool.

EDIT:
Archive updated!
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2015, 12:56 AM by Drewworks.)
ᴼᴴ ᴴᴵ ᵁᴾ ᵀᴴᴱᴿᴱ\(ಠ_ಠ)

Paper Mario Hacking Archive 1 2 3 4 5 »